The Girl Geek Dinners in Johannesburg are phenomenally successful. With 150 women attending every 2nd month the dinners have grown in strength and numbers. So much so that the tickets are fully sold out in an hour and immediate payment confirms your seat. #FOMO on steroids.
The last dinner for the year took place last night at The Maslow in Rivonia and was an extra special event as it was the #GGDJHB 3rd Birthday! It was attended by delicious goodie bags, delicious food and deliciously intelligent women.
The dinners are about sipping cocktails, chugging down lots of red & white wine, eating amazing food and sharing our experiences about working in the tech, digital, social media and IT industries. We’re (mostly) all women in technology.
The speakers for the night were Melanie Botha Consumer Channels Group Director of Microsoft South Africa and Sophie Ndaba , a South African actress famous for acting as Queen Moroka in the soapie Generations.
I took two key points away from Melanie Botha:
- Women years ago faced the same challenges we have today & they did not have tech.
- I don’t care what you think about me… I don’t think about you at all ~ Coco Chanel
I took two key points away from Sophie Ndaba:
- Be fascinated by, and not threatened by, people that are better than you. Examine them and learn.
- Bloggers watch out! She’s after your job and she’ll do it better than you.
We usually have a fabulous 3-course dinner that includes a starter, main meal and decadent desserts. This meal was different. We had a High Tea! Lots of delectable snacks and pastries were on offer. The only negatives were that there weren’t enough vegetarian options and the ‘geek girls’ loaded their plates which meant those at the back of the queue were left with scraps. The food disappeared so quickly I didn’t get to take pictures! It was a high tea and I got offered coffee….
Finally! The goodie bag rocked my world. Thank you to:
- @CellC for being an amazing sponsor and making this event possible
- @AppletiserZA for the VERY tasty PINK sparkling apple & strawberry juice
- @TheMaslowHotel for the food, coffee (no tea?), tea sample, pen, the energy recharge
- @DailyDishForYou for the discount voucher. I’ll be ordering the vegetarian option
- @SynStalker for the bling key hook
- @XBoxZA for the umbrella. It swings between rain and blazing sun so always handy
- @HDS_SSA for the awesome power bank!
I NEVER ever take selfies. I took my first one last night, tweeted it (shock, horror) and I won myself a Q-PIC Selfie Shooter!
I dragged a friend of mine, Nikki, to the event and although we never got to meet anyone new this time around, we did get the chance to have a quiet chat to THE Girl Geeks founder and organisers Leigh-Ann and Kirsty.
This an event not to be missed by any geeky girl who wants to do a bit of networking, find a lot of inspiration and have a fabulous laugh with some really awesome women.
If you want to experience this event firsthand I suggest you follow their tweets, subscribe to their newsletter and keep your eyes open for the invite. The geek girls who respond the quickest get to join in the fun!